Protect your home from fires
To help combat these numbers, the Ruston Fire Department is reaching out to homeowners, offering an engine company to come out and do a walk-through to point out potential hazards. Chief James Tornabene said some of the more common dangers include space heaters located too close to combustible materials, gas cans anywhere near water heaters and candles that are not in any kind of glass jars.
“One thing you find, especially with college students, is too many things being plugged into one outlet,” he said. “A lot of these older houses aren’t wired for all that.”