MINUTES. CITY OF GRAMBLING, GRAMBLING, LOUISIANA. Monthly Meeting
MINUTES. CITY OF GRAMBLING, GRAMBLING, LOUISIANA.
December 1, 2011
Mayor Edward R. Jones opened the regular session of the Grambling City Council at 6:25 p.m. at Grambling City Hall. Mr. William Arrington offered the invocation and led the council and congregation into the Pledge of Allegiance. Present were the following Council members: Birdex Copeland, Jr., Yanise Days, Cathy Holmes, Cullen Jackson and Roy Jackson. It was moved by Council member Roy Jackson and seconded by Council member Cullen Jackson to adopt the Minutes dated October 6 & October 13, 2011.
Roll call was as follows:
Council member Birdex Copeland, Jr.
Council member Yanise Days
Council member Cathy Holmes
Council member Cullen Jackson
Council member Roy Jackson
Nay Abstain Absent
The motion was carried to adopt the minutes of the Meetings dated November 3, 2011. It was moved by Council member Cullen Jackson and seconded by Council member Birdex Copeland, Jr. to adopt the agenda as presented.
Part II. Information:
1. Mr. Dean Dick, Engineering- was not present. The Mayor stated that Water Well #5 & #6 are in operation.
2. American Wastewater Management- Mr. Carl Johnson- was not present.
3. Mr. Kerry Blakemore- requested from the Council to be fair by considering to be allowed to be “Grandfathered In” concerning the BYOB Ordinances that changed the closing time from 2:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m., which was adopted in the October meeting.
Part III. Comments:
Police Department/ Fire Department/911 Commission- Chief Tommy Clark, Jr
Chief Clark stated that 4 Firefighters will be taking tests to become certified.
Fire Inspection was done at the Eddie Robinson Museum.
The Police Department will be receiving money for bulletproof vests.
Public Works- Mr. Vivian Moffett
To Comply with ACT No. 850 H.B. No. 1307 the Mayor allowed time for the Public to make comments before the adoption of the proposed Ordinances.
Ms. Lorraine Bowman stated that she feels all business establishments should be allowed to remain open the same number of hours. All businesses should have lighted signs.
Part IV. Old Business:
2. It was moved by Council member Roy Jackson and seconded by Council member Cullen Jackson to adopt the following:
ORDINANCE NO. 01103011-1
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF GRAMBLING TO DECLARE PROPERTY AS SURPLUS AND TO AUTHORIZE SALE OF SAID SURPLUS PROPERTY
WHEREAS, an ordinance has been proposed to be adopted by the Board of Aldermen of the City of Grambling; and WHEREAS, the proposed ordinance must be introduced by its title; and WHEREAS, a public hearing must be held prior to its adoption; and WHEREAS, the title of the proposed ordinance must be published in the official journal and the notice shall provide for the time and place where the Board will consider its adoption.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED that the following ordinance be and it is hereby adopted by the Board of Aldermen of the City of Grambling:
Section 1: Pursuant to a motion held at the Board of Aldermen Meeting held on November 3, 2011, the following property was deemed to be surplus property as such property is no longer needed for public purposes and that same should be sold:
A building and located in Grambling, contained within the following legal description:
A TR. of Land contg. 1.000 AC. SIT. in SEC. 31-18-3. (From Elme Bowman, Sr.) (989-159) (0100600891) SEC. 31-18-3: Comm at the NEC of SEC. 31-18-3, TH. Run S. 1227.58' to a PT., TH run W. 236.86' to a _ Rebar for the ST. PT., run S. 235.91' to a 5/8 Rebar on the N. R/W line of Hwy 80, TH. Run S. 77 DEG. 17' 13W. along said N. R/W line 175.00' to a Rebar, TH. Leaving said R/W line, run N. 274.42' to a _ Rebar, TH. Run E. 170.71' back to POB, contg. 1.000 AC. (From Elme Bowman, Sr.) (989-159) (0100600891)
Section 2: It has been determined that the above listed property is no longer needed for public purposes in that the City has not operated a clinic in this location in excess of five years.
Section 3: Moreover, the City has been approached by an individual who desires to purchase the property and open a business in same. It has been determined that the sale of this property is in the best interest of the City of Grambling as it will allow economic growth and provide for collection of property taxes.
Section 4: The minimum purchase price for the sale of this property shall be $170,000.00.
Section 5: Notice of this ordinance will be published three times in fifteen days, one week apart, in the Ruston Daily Leader, the Official Journal of the City of Grambling, beginning the week of November 7, 2011 as required by law.
Section 6: This ordinance was introduced at the November 3, 2011 meeting. A public hearing was held on December 1, 2011 at 5:30 p.m., immediately preceding the December 1, 2011 Board of Alderman Meeting.
Section 7: Any opposition to this ordinance must be made in writing, filed with the clerk or secretary of the City of Grambling within fifteen days of the first publication. In accordance with La. R.S. 33:4712(C), this shall not become effective until ten days after its passage, during which time any interested citizen may apply to the Lincoln Parish District Court for an order restraining the disposition of the property. After this ordinance becomes effective, it cannot be contested for any reason.
Section 8. This Ordinance was duly introduced, published in accordance with law, and then duly read and adopted by the following votes:
YEAS: 4, NAYS: Council member Birdex Copeland, Jr. , ABSENT: None, ABSTAIN: None
Part V. New Business:
1. It was moved by Council member Yanise Days and seconded by Council member Cathy Holmes to approve the following Holiday Schedule:
New Year's Day- Monday, January 3, 2012
Martin Luther King, Jr. - Monday, January 16, 2012
Mardi Gras- Fat Tuesday - February 21, 2012
Good Friday- Friday, April 6, 2012
Easter Sunday- Monday, April 8, 2012
Memorial Day- Monday, May 28, 2012
Independence Day- Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Labor Day- Monday, September 3, 2012
Veteran's Day, Monday, November 12, 2012
Thanksgiving Day- Wednesday, November 21 (noon) - Friday, November 23, 2012
Christmas Eve/Christmas Day - December 24-25, 2012 (extra time set by Mayor)
New Year's Eve- Monday, December 31, 2012
All full-time employees get their birthday off with pay
If any of the above holidays fall on Saturday, employees will not work on Friday; and if holidays fall on Sunday, employees will not work on Monday.
2. It was moved by Council member Birdex Copeland, Jr. and seconded by Council member Cullen Jackson to approve Firefighter David Wells to serve as Interim Assistant Fire Chief, and his salary be based upon the previous Assistant Fire Chief's salary.
3. It was moved by Council member Yanise Days and seconded by Council member Cullen Jackson that the introduction of the Sign Ordinance for the city of Grambling would be tabled until the next board meeting.
4. The Resolution for the Municipal Retirement was tabled.
5. It was moved by Council member Yanise Days and seconded by Council member Cullen Jackson to approve the following water adjustments for the month of November: Cathy Holmes.
6. The Board of Aldermen of the City of Grambling shall meet on the 7th day of December, 2011 at 5:30 o'clock p.m. in the Council Chambers, City Hall, Grambling, LA, for a Public Hearing regarding the introduction of a budget ordinance for the year 2012.
Christmas Parade- Saturday, December 17, 2011
Christmas in the Park- Thursday, December 8, 2011
It was moved by Council member Yanise Days and seconded by Council member
Cathy Holmes to adjourn this meeting at 7:35 p.m.
Edward R. Jones, Mayor Pamela J. Stringfellow, CMC
“This institution is an equal opportunity provider.”
1td: January 11, 2012